Chandelao Garh near Jodhpur
Around 40km outside of Jodhpur, Chandelao is a beautiful grand house, transformed into a luxurious homestay – and comes highly recommended! If you stay here, we highly recommend taking a trip around the village with Chandelao’s local guides for an insight into desert life.
Chandelao Garh is the home of former generals of Marwar (as the region of Jodphur, Rajasthan, was once known). The main part of the house was built in 1744 and has been well looked after to retain its charm and beauty. Chandelao is the ancestral home of the rulers of Chandelao village and the surrounding area and is still run by the family today.
Alongside the homestay, Chandelao is home to Sunder Rang arts and crafts centre. The centre provides employment opportunities to women from Chandelao village and beyond.
Women apply to come and work at the centre to make handicrafts (which are sold to visitors of Chandelao and beyond). 60% of the profit of each product sold goes directly to the woman who made the item, the remaining 40% towards running costs for the centre. Sunder Rang centre provides optional schooling programs for the ladies that work there, providing the opportunity to learn languages or study at the computer centre next door.